Raw Brownie

May 6, 2012 18 Comments

I love brownies… ie I would love if I shouldn’t add so much sugar to the dough to make the brownies moist and gooey. That’s why I don’t bake it very often.

But this is history… now I can make gooey brownie that sweet enough although there is no sugar in it! It doesn’t contain egg, dairy and flour either. You don’t even have to bake it, you only need a strong food processor to make it.

This is a healthy brownie. That’s all.

Recipe adapted from Sarah!

Raw Brownie

Ingredients (for a 22*22 cm / 8,6*8,6 inch cake pan)

- 2 and 1/2 cups dates, pitted
- 1 cup raw cocoa
- 2 cups walnut
- 1/2 cup almond, chopped roughly
- 1/4 teaspoon salt

Method

Place walnut into the food processor and blend until the nuts are finely ground. Add cocoa, salt and blend again for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add dates while the processor is running. Work until the “dough” or mixture easily sticks together (if it doesn’t add 1-2 dates).Press the “dough” into the lined cake pan, sprinkle the top with almond (press almond pieces into the “dough”). Place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes or in the fridge for 2-3 hours.

Enjoy without remorse! :)

Comments (18)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

1. Regula says:

This looks and sounds delicious Zita!!!
    I love this! Healthy and delicious!
    I will try and make this :)

2. Sneige says:

Besides raw they are sugar-free too. The perfect guil-free snack :)

3. Those look really good! What a great texture.

Cheers,

Rosa

4. This looks amazing! As you know from my blog I’m a big fan of butter and sugar, but I also love the idea of making a completely guilt free chocolaty treat. Definitely one to try over the summer!

5. Zita – how marvelous!!! These look so rich and I love all the healthy nuts hiding in there. :-) Delicious!

6. On Fridays, I share my favorite food finds in a series called Food Fetish Friday – and I love this post so I’m featuring it as part of the roundup (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and I always love dropping by to see what you’ve created…

7. Just saw this on foodgawker – looks absolutely divine. I have made raw brownies before as well (although I usually use ground almonds as flour and mix in chopped walnuts for crunch) and, topped with a sprinkle of fleur de sel, they were amazing! Even my sugar-loving boyfriend loved them – in fact, the only reason he could tell these weren’t the real deal was their fudgy consistency and lack of a crust.

I am thinking thin slivers of these (given how reach they are) paired with some homemade frozen banana soft-serve, a drizzle of peanut butter (or chopped roasted and salted peanuts) and maybe a squirt or two of brown rice syrup would make quite the fancy sundae/dessert – devoid of all processed sugar yet fit for a dinner party.

All the best

Sophia

8. What a recipe. Lovely styling too. They look like the perfect little gifts.

• Zita says:

Russel,

thank you for your comment! I’ve just found your blog and I have to say it’s wonderful. I really love your videos!

9. claymonster says:

These look great, but calling them “guilt-free” and/or “sugar-free” is a bit misleading as dates are super high glycemic index foods – some studies put them at 103 (higher than glucose!). So, this isn’t for diabetics.

10. Anonymous says:

They looked fabulous enough to get me into the kitchen free of oven heat. Which, in the summer is the best way to go, BUT they tore my food processor apart! It died halfway through the ‘add the dates’ process and never revived.
    The small batch that we did have was delicious, but unfortunately, there goes a 400.00 processor.

11. Jessica says:

WOW!! They came out great, I added some dried pomegranate and chocolate chips to kick them up a notch. What a great dessert for all my gluten free and lactose free friends.

I will be making these again and again!!

12. shruti says:

i made these the other day & it was different… liked it! almost like fudge. i cheated a bit and added little castor sugar ;-) i’ll add more dried fruits next time. i love using kimia dates – very soft juicy & sweet

13. Sarah says:

These “brownies” are absolutely delicious! Mine turned out a bit rich since I added some dark cacao. They are a bit different, but after one “brownie” they’re delicious. You almost can’t tell the difference taste-wise. 10/10 would recommend.

14. Natalia says:

They look so good! Thanks for the recipe!
    Natalia recently posted…Less is MoreMy Profile

15. Nom, just made these and the mix tastes gorgeous. Can’t wait to try them when they’re chilled. Considering varying extras as topping, raspberries, carob and orange… healthy or not I’m going to have to be careful with these lol
    Angela MacLean recently posted…FocusMy Profile