Surprise! Surprise! Emiko! This is for you! An international baby shower party – honoring you – with friends around the world!
Emiko is going to get a wonderful Christmas present this year… she is about to have a baby girl, her first child. I bet she and her husband, Marco are going to have an exciting Christmas! 🙂
I met Emiko last August in London at the Food Blogger Connect conference. Giulia, our mutual friend from Tuscany, introduced us and since then we’ve become friends… long distance friends because we live very far from each other (she in Melbourne, me in Budapest). Luckily we’re very good at organizing so this year we made it happen to meet again, this time in Tuscany, Italy with other wonderful friends: Giulia, Karin and Regula. I love how blogging + social media bring people together!Emiko is a down-to-earth, comely, charming person who writes one of my favourite food blogs. Her writing skills are over the top, I love reading her stories and recipes. I also admire her clean, simple style in photography. All in all, I’m happy to call Emiko my friend.
A month ago we decided to throw a surprise party for Emiko. There have been so many emails going on back and forth, finding out who and what bakes for this baby shower. I’m so happy to be part of this event.
In October Emiko discovered that she has gestational diabetes that’s why I was trying to bake something very low in organic raw cane sugar but nutritious, healthy and yummie. These cookies are vegan, contain rolled oats, whole spelt flour and buckwheat flour that has a slightly nutty flavor. From the home baked pumpkin purée, the walnut and the chocolate chips (70% cocoa content) these cookies are rich and wholesome.
Emiko, I wish you all the best on your new journey that called motherhood. I have no doubts that you will be a miraculous mommy of your little daughter! “Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind.” (Howard W. Hunter)
Vegan Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
– 1 and 1/4 cups rolled oats
– 1 cup whole wheat spelt flour
– 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
– 1/2 cup cane sugar
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1 tablespoon baking powder
– 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
– 6 tablespoons water
– 1 cup pumpkin purée (home baked is the best)
– 3 tablespoons coconut oil
– 1 teaspoon apple vinegar
– 1 vanilla bean, split and seeded
– 1/2 cup walnut
– 3/4 cup chocolate chips (70% cocoa content)
In a small bowl mix together ground flax seed with water and let it sit for at least 10 minutes. This will form a “flax seed egg” that works as a binder for vegan baking. Although flax seed contains all sorts of healthy components, it owes its healthy reputation primarily to three ingredients: omega-3 essential fatty acids, lignans and fiber.
In a separate mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients: rolled oats, spelt flour, buckwheat flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder and stir to combine. In another bowl mix together pumpkin purée with coconut oil, apple vinegar, cane sugar and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones. Next add flax seed egg, walnut and chocolate until the mixture forms a dough.
Preheat the oven to 180C (356F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Using a cookie or ice-cream scoop, portion out small balls of dough, then flatten the balls slightly with your hands. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. These cookies are crunchy on the outside and chewy inside. Yummie!
For more top-notch, yum cake recipes and baby shower wishes for Emiko, visit my magnificent friends’ blogs:
* Regula – Miss Foodwise: Cobnut brandy
* Valeria – Life Love Food: Gingerbread banana muffins
* Karin – Yum and More: Flourless chocolate cake with pears
* Jasmine – Labna: Frollini di riso
* Giulia – Jul’s Kitchen: Sponge cake with custard and chocolate
* Sarka – Cook Your Dream: Savory mini tartlets
* Rosella – Vaniglia Storie Di Cucina: Soft cheesecake
Sites That Link to this Post
- Ricetta Frollini con farina di riso - Labna | August 2, 2013
- Un baby shower per Emiko: il pan di Spagna con crema e cioccolato | Juls' Kitchen | January 8, 2014
- Cobnut brandy to wet the baby’s head | October 12, 2015
- Soft cheesecake per Emiko | April 5, 2016