After posting a sugar free chocolate cake here I am again with something yummie, vegan and also sugar free. The pancake is a simple vegan recipe (similar to the others I posted before) but the cream’s recipe comes from one of my favourite blogs, the Green Kitchen Stories.
If you make this vanilla coconut cream your kitchen will smell heavenly. It is a real comfort, lazy breakfast on a Sunday morning.
Vegan Sugar Free Banana Coconut Pancake with Vanilla Coconut Cream
Ingredients (makes 8-12 pancakes)
For the pancake
– 1 cup white spelt flour
– 1/4 cup whole wheat spelt flour
– 1/2 cup shredded coconut (unsweetend)
– 2 tablespoons aluminium free baking powder
– 1 cup oat milk
– 1 ripe banana, mashed with a fork
– 1 vanilla pod, split and seeded
– pinch of salt
– coconut oil
For the vanilla coconut cream
– 400 ml (1 can) coconut milk
– 1 cinnamon stick
– 1 vanilla pod (you can use only the skin of the vanilla that was seeded for the pancake)
– 3 dates, pitted
– 1 small piece of ginger, peeled
– 2 tablespoons tapioca or corn starch
In a bowl mix together the dry ingredients: flour, shredded coconut, baking powder and salt. In another bowl mash the banana then add oat milk, vanilla. Give each mixture a stir then add the wet to the dry combining just until mixed. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the batter to rise.
Meanwhile make the coconut cream. Put coconut milk, cinnamon stick, ginger and vanilla in a pot. Let it boil on medium heat, while stirring, then turn down the temperature so that it simmers. In a small bowl mix the 2 tablespoons tapioca starch with 2 tablespoons water and add it to the coconut cream, cooking for another 20-25 minutes (occaisonally stirring). Drain the cream (removing the cinnamon stick, dates, ginger, vanilla pod) and set aside.