I found a beautiful video about beet cake on Vimeo. After I had seen it I knew I had to bake it. I only wanted to bake it in a more healthier way so I changed sugar into honey and maple syrup, butter into coconut oil and eggs into oat milk + vinegar. The cake is almost sugar free only the chocolate contains a little bit.
Last time I baked it for my grandmother’s 88th birthday. I was a bit afraid how she would like this modern, vegan cake but she loved it. It was a big hit! Everyone from my family begs me to bake it again. 🙂
Vegan Beetroot Chocolate Cake
– 2 cups cooked beetroot, mashed
– 1 cup whole wheat spelt flour
– 1 cup white spelt flour
– 1/2 cup honey
– 1/2 cup maple syrup
– 1/2 cup coconut oil (you can use sunflower oil too)
– 1 cup oatmilk (you can use rice milk, soy milk too)
– 100 g chocolate (70-85% cocoa content), melted in a heat-proof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, not boiling!
– 2 teaspoons apple vinegar
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 2 teaspoons baking soda
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1 vanilla bean, split and seeded
Sift all the dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt) in a bowl and mix them together. In another bowl whisk together all the wet ingredients (oat milk, coconut oil, honey, maple syrup, apple vinegar and vanilla). Add mashed beetroot and melted chocolate to the wet ingredients then pour into dry and mix until combine.
In the meantime preheat the oven to 175C (350F) and line the bottom of a 25 cm (9.8″) round cake pan with parchment paper, oil and flour it with cocoa powder.
Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes on 175-180C (350F). Remove from the oven when a cocktail stick just comes out of the cake cleanly. Cool somewhat before removing from the pan.
Sites That Link to this Post
- Vegan chocolate, beetroot and walnut cake | October 12, 2015