Roasted Tofu Sandwich with Peanut Sauce

September 28, 2011 13 Comments

Peanut butter is my friend. I usually eat it straight from the jar… or I mix it with mascarpone, cane powder sugar and vanilla until smooth. This is my lifesaving dessert if I don’t have anything sweet at home! But I haven’t eaten it in a savoury dish before. So it was time to discover something new…

The something new was Megan’s vegetarian blog I found on the internet about a month ago. She is an amazing photographer and a great cook. I like her healthy, yummie recipes. This peanut sauce won my heart straight away so I gave it a try… I loved it.

What is your favourite dish made with peanut butter?

Roasted Tofu Sandwich with Peanut Sauce

Ingredients (serves 2)

For the sauce
- 1,5 cup peanut butter
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander stalks, chopped
- 1/3 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 lemon’s freshly squeezed juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pinch of chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (you can use sunflower oil too)

For the roasted tofu
- 300 g firm tofu, cut into 0.5 cm thick slices
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (you can use sunflower oil too)
- salt, pepper
- 1 baguette
- sprouts

Method

Heat the coconut oil in a pan, add chopped onion and garlic and saute for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add coriander stalks, curry powder, chili flakes and grated ginger. Continue to heat in the pan for another 2 minutes. Turn the heat down to low and stir in lemon juice, coconut milk and peanut butter. Continue to stir until everything is well combined and warmed through. Season with salt and before you serve sprinkle with coriander leaves.

In a non-stick pan heat the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the tofu slices to your hot pan, add some freshly ground blackk pepper and salt. Let these sizzle over medium heat for 8 minutes. Once the bottom side is browned, go ahead and flip. Add chopped garlic and roast long enough to make sure the other side gets good colour and crispiness.

Cut the baguette in half lengthwise, spread each slice with the peanut sauce, add the tofu slices and top with sprouts and the top of the baguette.

Comments (13)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

Sites That Link to this Post

1. 12 complete proteins vegetarians need to know about | the daily ohm | July 26, 2014
  1. This is a sandwich – i know some will say the meaty bit is missing but seriously – I find it a refreshing change! Loving the peanut sauce here too! nice one!

2. Zita says:

Thanks for your lovely comment, Meeta! :)

3. I didn’t know Megan’s blog, wow, it’s beautiful!
    I’m not a peanut butter fan, I’m more a Nutella person, but this sandwich, OMG, looks so yummy!

4. Sukaina says:

Wow you are a healthy eater Zita! I have never tried tofu before. My pfavorite way to eat peanut butter is in a cheesecake or perhaps slathered with nutella. Not very healthy am i?

5. kankana says:

This is one healthy sandwich! I always liked eating Tofu but the husband doesn’t. may be this sandwich will finally change his mind on Tofu :)

6. Zita says:

Giulia!

Yeah, Megan’s blog is wow! :)

Sukaina!

Yes, I’m trying to be healthy eater. Believe me, healthy stuff can be very yummie too! I started eating tofu about a year ago. Roasting tofu with garlic is one of my favourites. It’s so good on soba or udon noodles with soy sauce, a few chopped spring onions and sesame seeds. It’s easy to make, filling and healthy! You should give it a try.

Kankana!

If you try this recipe let me know how you and your husband liked it! :)

7. MeLikeyUK says:

Hi Zizi,
    I have never really been a fan of tofu but you have found an exciting way to jazz it up in this sandwich. It sounds and looks really delicious!
    I am a big fan of Satays, so that is probably one of my favourite dishes with peanuts. Alternatively, give me a nice thick white piece of toasted bread and I am happy to spread thick crunchy peanut butter all over that baby!

8. I don’t usually care for tofu too much, but I’m eager to try it roasted. :-) The peanut sauce sounds fantastic. :-)

9. Zita says:

Thanks for your comment! If you like peanut butter you should give this recipe a try.

10. Zita says:

Krista,

roasted tofu with garlic is soooo good! :)

11. This sounds great! I’ve never cooked with tofu before (I’m not sure how that’s happened, because I’ve been a vegetarian for over 10 years!) but this looks so easy :)

12. Zita says:

Becca!

I started eating tofu about a year ago although I’ve been vegetarian for 3 years now. You should give it a try, it’s really great!